Reform's U-Turn On Two-Child Benefit Cap Dubbed 'Shameful' By Starmer
Reform UK has been slammed by Keir Starmer after Robert Jenrick announced the party would bring back the two-child benefit cap.
Implemented by the former Conservative government, the two-child benefit cap has been a major sticking point in this parliament.
The cost-saving measure prevents families from claiming any further expenses from the state after their second child, contributing to child poverty levels.
MPs voted with the government to lift it earlier this month.
But Jenrick, Reform’s new Treasury spokesperson and former Tory minister, announced on Wednesday that a government led by his party would “restore the cap in full”.
It comes after party leader Nigel Farage previously said he would lift the cap, before deciding it would stay – with some exceptions for families with two British parents who work full-time.
But Jenrick said: “As a signal of intent, today, Reform is changing our policy on the two-child cap for Universal Credit.
“The policy was well-meaning.
We want to help working families have more children. But right now, we just cannot afford to do so with welfare. So it has to go.
“And, as Reform’s shadow chancellor, I’m ending it. A Reform government will restore the cap in full. We are the party of alarm clock Britain — a party for workers and not welfare.”
Prime minister Starmer tore into the announcement on X, writing: “Shameful. I’m incredibly proud that this government has scrapped the cruel two child limit. Reform wants to push hundreds of thousands of children into poverty.”
The PM then told Wales Online: “I think it’s shameful because Reform’s decision to reverse on this means that if they ever got into power they would drag hundreds of thousands of children back into poverty.
“We tried that experiment under the Tory government and thousands - hundreds of thousands - of children grew up in poverty and their life chances are affected. And for Reform to say ‘we’re going to punish children back into poverty’ means they are destroying the life chances of those children.”
He added that growing up in poverty makes it “so much harder to get the job you need, to have the economic worth that you deserve, to go as far as your talent and ability will take you”.
He accused Reform of a “total disregard for the lives of young people and I hope that they absolutely never get to be in power, because this is an indication of the sort of Britain they want to see, a Britain which plunges people back into poverty.”
It’s worth noting Starmer also chose to keep the cap for the first year of his premiership before U-turning amid backlash from his backbenchers.
Anna Turley, Chair of the Labour Party, also hit out at Reform, saying: “Robert Jenrick has united the right behind a cruel child poverty pact that would see nearly half a million kids pushed into poverty.
“Farage’s party is stuffed full of former failed Tories who are now hell bent on continuing their damaging legacy, with working people and their children set to pay the price.
“Labour chooses the other road – lifting almost half a million kids out of child poverty – and that’s what we’re doing this year.
“It’s the right thing to do for them, their families and our economy. It’s appalling that Reform and the Tories would undo that change and leave a lost generation of kids in every corner of Britain.”
Tory Party chair Kevin Hollinrake said: “One week Nigel Farage says Robert Jenrick is a fraud, next week he’s Reform’s economic guru. You cannot trust a word he says.
“Reform’s economic policy changes by the week. Just two weeks ago, Rob Jenrick voted to lift the two-child benefit cap. Today he claims he would reinstate it. They make even Keir Starmer look consistent.
“Within Reform, no one agrees on anything. Danny Kruger wants to scrap the two-child cap. Richard Tice wants to scrap the OBR. Suella Braverman wants to pursue ‘socialist’ policies.
“But none of it really matters. Reform is a one-man band. The only view that counts is Nigel Farage’s and he wants more welfare.
“Only the Conservatives have a leader with the backbone and the team with a plan to get Britain working again.”
Jenrick’s announcement comes only two weeks after his fellow ex-Tory Suella Bravermanaccidentally voted to scrap the cap, too.
The five other Reform MPs who took part voted against scrapping it, in line with their party policy.
The motion to end the cap, introduced by the last Tory government in an attempt to slash the welfare bill, was passed by 458 votes to 104.
Jenrick also announced that he would restrict access to health or disability benefits on what he called “spurious” grounds.
He said: “The number claiming disability benefits for an attention disorder has more than doubled since Covid. We all know a significant number of these claims are spurious.
“We will stop those with mild anxiety, depression, and similar conditions from claiming disability benefits and instead encourage them into the dignity of work.”
Jenrick announced plans to restrict benefits to British nationals only, and to reduce access to the Motability scheme which allows people on benefits to use a car.