The Latest: Ukraine leader says Iran will return bodies soon
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The latest on Iran-related developments (all times local):
11:30 p.m.
Ukraine's president says Iran has pledged to quickly identify and return victims' remains from the jetliner that Iran accidentally shot down earlier this week.
He says Iran has also promised to prosecute any Iranian officials responsible for shooting down the Ukrainian aircraft. All 176 people on board were killed, including 11 Ukrainians.
Volodymyr Zelenskiy says he "will return all those dead to their families,” adding: “All the culprits will be punished.”
Zelenskiy's televised speech followed a phone call with Iran's president, Hassan Rouhani.
He thanked the U.S, Britain, Canada and others for information about the crash and their support. He says that support “undoubtedly helped” push Iran to acknowledge its responsibility for the crash.
Earlier Saturday, Rouhani and other Iranian officials admitted Tehran's responsibility for mistakenly downing the Ukrainian airliner, after days of denials.
The crash happened early Wednesday, hours after Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on two military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq in retaliation for the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general.
8:30 p.m.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel say's Iran's acknowledgement that it accidentally shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet earlier this week was a positive step.
Merkel says “it is good that those who are responsible are known ... everything has to be done now to find solution with those countries where those who are affected came from.”
She says it is important that everything be done to investigate the incident, which killed “176 innocent people.” She says talks are needed to discuss “what the consequences will be.”
Merkel spoke to reporters...