More SC school districts consider flouting mask mandate ban
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — With hundreds of South Carolina students already quarantined for COVID-19 at the start of the fall semester, some local governments are considering joining the capital city of Columbia in requiring masks in schools despite a state budget proviso that bans districts from doing so without risking funding.
Richland County Council is expected to vote Monday evening on an emergency ordinance to require masks in public and private schools as well as day cares in county limits. The proposed ordinance states that schools won't be required to use public funding to provide face coverings.
The county could follow in the footsteps of Columbia leaders who have already made masks mandatory for schoolchildren too young to receive the coronavirus vaccine — a move that state Attorney General Alan Wilson has opined is “ in conflict with state law and should either be rescinded or amended.” Charleston city councilmembers also discussed the possibility of enforcing masks in schools last week.
A group that represents South Carolina public school teachers said Monday that Gov. Henry McMaster should declare a state of emergency and suspend the state budget proviso that went into effect July 1 and prohibits South Carolina educational institutions from using appropriated funds to mandate masks. The Palmetto State Teachers Association also wants state lawmakers to reconvene before their scheduled mid-September return to repeal the measure.
But without state-level action — the Republican governor has repeatedly insisted mask-wearing should be left for parents to decide — school districts need to take matters in their own hands and implement mitigation measures to keep children in classrooms, the group said.
Though no school district has yet to publicly defy the...